Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Soapy...

Remember "The Cat In the Hat Comes Back," where the Cat makes a Big Pink Cat Ring in the bathtub, and as they try to clean it up it just spreads all over the place? That's apparently what happened to K this morning.
When got to his house, at about 8:20 AM, K was watching for me out the window. When he saw me, he jumped down off the couch and ran to the door to open it for me. But he couldn't get it open, so I used my key.
The house was dark, and K told me that everyone was still sleeping. (I figured that his father was probably at work, but maybe both his parents were still sleeping.) K was wearing-- an undershirt. Nothing else. After I greeted him and took off my coat, I sent him upstairs to get underpants, at least.
When he came down, we went into the kitchen to toast a bagel for breakfast, and when K climbed up on top of the chair, I kissed him on the top of his head, and it was wet. I asked him if he had taken a shower with Daddy, and he said no.
"Then how did your hair get wet?" I asked him.
"I put soap on it!" he exclaimed. But he obviously hadn't rinsed it. And the question was, of course, WHY had he put soap on his hair?
Little by little, I pieced together these 2 clues:
1. K's soggy Pull-up was lying in the middle of the bathroom floor.
2. K told me, "I couldn't turn the water on."
And came up with a logical answer: K had come downstairs by himslf, after Daddy had left for work but Mommy was still in bed. He took off his pajamas and Pull-up and sat on the toilet.
He flushed when he was done.
He closed the toilet seat and climbed up in order to reach the sink.
He put liquid soap on his hands in order to wash them.
He discovered that he couldn't work the faucet.
What to do with all of the soap? He rubbed it on his undershirt and on his head.
(Hey- at least his hands were clean!)
When Mommy came downstairs, and I told her this story, and also how K had tried to let me in but couldn't open the door, she immediately figured out the connection: his hands were probably too soapy for him to get a grip on the doorknob!
Epilogue:
Mommy wiped the doorknob, and I rinsed K's hair in the sink.

No comments: