Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sharing: just a theory

Donny woke up from his nap and wanted something to eat. There were three honey cake muffins in a pan on the counter, so I offered him one. He took all three muffins out of the pan and held two of them tightly to his chest while attempting to eat the third one.
"Donny, put the other ones back in the pan," I told him. "You can have another one if you're still hungry after you eat this one."
"No, these are for Mommy and Daddy," he informed me. Then he looked at Kivi suspiciously and said, "Kivi, do you want one?"
"No, I don't like those," Kivi answered.
"OK," Donny said, sounding relieved,"These are for Mommy and Daddy."
"Put the muffins back in the pan," I suggested, "and I'll cover it so they don't get stale."
"OK, but don't eat them," he warned me. "They're for Mommy and Daddy."
"I won't eat them," I promised, and put the pan on the counter and covered it with foil.
A few minutes later, Donny finished his muffin. "Can I have another muffin?" he asked.
"But you said those were for Mommy and Daddy," I reminded him, showing him the two muffins remaining in the pan. "If you eat another muffin, there will only be one left; what will Mommy and Daddy eat?"
Donny pondered this for a few seconds, then helped himself to one of the muffins and said confidently, "Mommy can have some of Daddy's."

No comments: